Get advice now, call 020 8318 7768
Get advice now, call 020 8318 7768

Student visas allow individuals from around the globe to experience the UK’s reputable educational institutions, as well as the culture in this country.

If you are a non-EU resident and you would like to come to the UK to study, you will have to apply for a student visa. There are three main types of visas for students: Short-Term Study, Tier 4 (Child) and Tier 4 (General). The right one for you will depend on how long you plan to study in the country and your age.

Short-Term Study Visa, UK

A Short-Term Study visa is aimed at those who plan to enrol in a short course, like a language course. It allows you to stay in the UK for six months. You are eligible for this visa if you can show the following:

  • You have received an offer of a place on a course of study by an approved education provider here in the UK
  • You have sufficient funds for your return journey and to support yourself while studying (without the need to work or to rely on public funds)

If you want to apply for this visa and you are under 18, you will also have to provide permission from your parent or guardian and show that you have made travel plans and organised your accommodation in the UK.

If you wish to apply for a Short-Term Study visa, Stevens Machi Solicitors can guide you through the process. We will consider your situation carefully and determine whether this is the best visa for you. Our specialist immigration solicitors will also provide straightforward guidance on what is required to make a successful application.

UK Tier 4 (Child) Student Visas

 A Tier 4 (Child) student visa may be the appropriate permit for you if are between the ages of four and 17, and you would like to enrol at an independent UK primary or secondary school. To qualify for this visa, you must:

  • have an offer from a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
  • have the means to pay for your study fees and support yourself while you are here

If your visa is granted, you will be able to stay in the UK for up to six years (if you are below the age of 16) or three years (if you are either 16 or 17 years old). The Tier 4 (Child) visa also allows you to remain in the UK for up to four months after your course has ended – and it is possible to apply to extend your visa.

Stevens Machi Solicitors have years of experience advising on and dealing with Tier 4 (Child) student visas. There are a number of rules that apply to this type of visa, for example, you are not permitted to take on a full-time work during term time. So, it is important that you seek advice from immigration specialists. If you wish to apply for a student visa or extend an existing visa, get in touch with us today to talk through your circumstances.

Tier 4 (General) Student Visas, UK

If you wish to study in the UK and you are over the age of 16, you may be able to do this with a Tier 4 (General) student visa. You will qualify for this type of visa if you:

  • have received an offer to study from a Tier 4 sponsor
  • have the financial means to cover your course and your living expenses
  • have a sufficient understanding of English (in reading, writing and speaking) - you may need to take a test to satisfy this condition

The length of your visa will be determined by what course you are doing in the UK, and you can apply to extend your stay. 

As with all visas, there are certain restrictions that apply to the Tier 4 (General). For example, you are unable to study at a local authority school during your time in the UK. We will set out all the conditions in a clear way so that you know exactly where you stand.

Student Visa Solicitors, London

When applying to study in the UK you need the help of an immigration specialist with the knowledge, experience and dedication to ensure you get the visa you need as quickly as possible. The process is complicated, but our solicitors make it easy-to-follow. We have a wealth of experience dealing with the full range of student visas, so you can rest assure that we will get the best possible outcome for you. To discuss your situation with an expert, contact us today by completing our contact form or call us on 020 8318 7768.

Make an enquiry

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input



inn img