Get advice now, call 020 8318 7768
Get advice now, call 020 8318 7768

If you are a foreign national and are looking to join your partner in the UK, you may be eligible for a ‘Family of a Settled Person’ visa. This type of visa allows partners of British citizens or those who have obtained settled status (e.g., Indefinite leave to Remain (ILR)) to join them in the UK.

Applying for a UK Marriage Visa or Spouse Visa - London

The Family of a Settled Person visa allows a foreign national who is married to or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen, (or someone with settled status) to join them in the UK. The visa is granted for two years initially after which time you may apply for further Leave to Remain and eventually naturalisation as a British citizen.

In order to qualify for this visa, you will need to be able to prove that you meet certain criteria, including:

  • Being legally married and planning to live together in the UK.
  • Being able to meet the minimum income threshold set by the UK government.
  • Being able to support yourselves and any dependents financially without recourse to public funds.
  • Being able to communicate in English (unless you are exempt from this requirement).

Applying for an Unmarried Partner Visa, UK

If you have a partner who is settled in the UK or is a British citizen but you are unmarried, you can apply for an unmarried partner’s visa. In order to apply for this visa, you must have been living with your partner in a relationship as if you were married for two years preceding the application. In addition, there are certain other criteria you must meet in order to be eligible for this visa including that:

  • Both parties are aged 21 or over.
  • Your partner is present in the UK and has settled status.
  • You have suitable accommodation.
  • You and your partner are able to support yourselves financially without recourse to public funds.

The Home Office apply stringent rules as to who may be granted the visa and you will need to provide an extensive amount of documentary evidence to prove that you are in a genuine relationship. You will also need to provide documentation to prove that you meet the financial requirements set by the UK government. Applications are often refused on the basis that the applicant has not been able to fully substantiate that they meet the requirements.

Our expert immigration lawyers can assist you in making a successful application. We have a complete understanding of the immigration and visa rules and what is required for your visa application to be granted. Using an expert immigration lawyer may save you time and the expense of re-submitting failed application. Contact Stevens Machi today to find out how we can help.

Contact our Specialised Marriage & Partner Visas Lawyers in London

Whatever your immigration situation, you need an immigration lawyer with the knowledge, experience and dedication to ensure that you get the visa you want as quickly as possible. With over 30 years’ combined experience, specialising exclusively in Immigration and Human Rights Law, you can be confident that Stevens Machi Solicitors will obtain for you the best possible outcome. We are passionate about winning our cases. Fill out our enquiry form or call us today on 020 8318 7768.

Make an enquiry

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input



inn img